Friday, January 30, 2009

Getting the royal treatment at Staples

Thursday night marked my first ever visit to Staples Center, where the Los Angeles Kings defeated the Chicago Blackhawks 5-2. But this was more than just attending a game: I was a credentialed member of the attending media last night.

My new gig serving as a writer covering the Los Angeles Kings for examiner.com allowed me to be granted full access by the Kings Communications department. While you can read my official story on the examiner site right now by clicking here, let this blog post serve as a little bit of a backstage access piece.

I arrived at Staples Center at 6:30 last night and went to the entrance marked for attending media. I told the young man at the table my name and showed him my ID. After a few seconds of befuddled searching through the available passes, which led to a split-second anxiety attack, the credential with my name on it was produced. After getting through the metal detector, I entered a nearby elevator and proceeded to ice level where I reached the "Chick Hearn Press Room".

Hearn was the longtime voice of the Lakers, and I entered to a large carpeted cafeteria. After dropping my bag on the table, I proceeded to grab a hamburger and bottle of water. After consuming those in record time, I looked up on one of the 20 television screens and saw Jamie Langenbrunner's overtime goal to give the Devils a 4-3 win over Boston, which I took as a good sign. It was then that I noticed, just at the next table behind me holding court with several writers and NHL officials, was legendary NHL coach Scotty Bowman.

I've been in LA for two years now, and have mingled with actors and musicians and rarely been star-struck. Yet, seeing Bowman caused a momentary lapse of decorum as I quickly phoned one of my best friends and said, "Dude, I'm 25 feet away from Scotty Bowman!" Keep in mind, it wasn't loud enough for anyone at that next table to hear it, but afterwards, I decided to use the restroom before I ventured to my seat in the press box. And as I was standing in the urinal, doing my thing, in walked Bowman for a "John Starks Moment".

A few years ago, I was the PA announcer at a charity basketball event that the New York Knicks were involved in, and Starks served as one of the coaches. After the game ended, I was in the restroom in a similar fashion, minding my business, when Starks came in and used the stall next to mine. He recognized me as the only guy wearing a tuxedo that night and told me that he thought I did a great job, which made me feel good. Then after thanking him, I paused and said, "So I have to ask you one question." Without even finishing my thought, he replied, "Yeah, I knew he was there." He finished and walked over to wash his hands and then walked out. Seconds later, someone else came out of the stall behind me and said, "Do you realize what he just said? That was cool!"

I was going to ask Starks about the famous left-handed thunder dunk he did over Michael Jordan, and I didn't even need to finish the sentence before he answered it.

Now, I was anticipating another Starks moment when Bowman just walked by me to the next stall and asked, "So, looks like a pretty big crowd tonight, eh?"

You can't make it up folks.

Another two minutes of small talk concluded with my professing my admiration for his coaching career, and apologizing on behalf of my Devils for denying him a Stanley Cup title in 1995. His response to that was, "thanks for the kind words, and you guys earned that one."

After taking another 3 minutes to collect myself, I exited the cafeteria area and took the elevator all the way upstairs to the top of the Staples Center. I sat in the upper row of the right hand side of the press box, which provided a clear overhead view of the entire arena and ice surface below. There were complimentary drinks (soda and water), and snacks. My seat had a cardboard nameplate directing me where to sit, a place to plug in my laptop and gain internet access, and some notes for the game. After plugging in, I got up and went to find Jeremy Zager, the supervisor for Communications and Broadcasting for the Kings.

When I got to his seat, he wasn't there, but Mike Kalinowski, who also works for the Kings Communications staff, was. When he inquired why I was there and I told him I was looking for Jeremy to introduce myself, he said, "Are you Jon Moncrief from the Examiner? Welcome, did you find everything okay?" We talked for about two minutes and wanted to know if I had any questions I should feel free to ask. Then Jeremy came over and we made introductions. Again, Jeremy wanted to make sure I had no difficulties and that I found where I was located correctly, and if I had any questions.

I've been credentialed for games before, most notably with the New Jersey Devils a few times in 2004. Now this is not a slight on their staff, but I must tell you the Kings treated me with the utmost in respect, as if I were a 20-year veteran covering the sport. In fact, everyone from the door people to the cafeteria staff to the other personnel inside Staples Center, treated me as though I were an important dignitary.

Then it happened. Jeremy indicated to me that not only should I feel free to contact him with any questions or to discuss future story ideas, but indicated that my article about the Kings goaltending was included in the printed News Clips section provided to all members of the media. FREAKING AWESOME!!!

I then headed back to my seat for the start of the game. I twittered the first two periods to keep myself occupied. During the second period intermission, I came back from stretching my legs to grab a water for the third period, and there was Bowman again. He nodded his head at me in approval, and that's when I noticed he was talking with two former Devils I enjoyed watching in my youth. One of them was Mel Bridgman, a hard-nosed center who played 4 seasons for the Devils after they first relocated from Colorado. The other was winger Pat Verbeek, who had held the club record for goals scored in a season until Brian Gionta (favorite player of Tracy Loreng – shout out) broke the mark in 2006. Verbeek also had one of the best nicknames I've ever heard for someone: The Little Ball of Hate.

The game also afforded me the chance to meet a very knowledgeable hockey writer named Kat Kealy, who writes her own hockey on-line called the Press Box Perspective. I encourage all hockey fans and Crief Case fans to read it often. I do so even though she grew up a Pittsburgh Penguins fan – just kidding…

After the game ended, I proceeded back downstairs to interview some of the players afterwards. These included Dustin Brown, Jarret Stoll, and Jack Johnson. I also attended Terry Murray's post-game press conference, and waited patiently for the more experienced writers to ask their questions before I asked mine, which he answered directly. Again, the players and coaches conducted themselves just like their frotn staff, first class all the way. Actually, that's been my experience - hockey players and people seem to have a better handle on maintaining professionalism with the media - unless your name is Sean Avery.

The entire experience was very educational and entertaining, and I am looking forward to their return from a five game road trip when they host Calgary on February 12th.

1 comment:

rednikki said...

This is awesome! It seems like a perfect fit for you, too.