Sunday, April 5, 2009

In memoriam: Doug Kessler

When I graduated high school in 1986, I'm sure I felt like most of my peers; invincible and able to begin a long journey on the road of life. But even before graduation day arrived, my classmates at Pascack Hill High School experienced two introductions into the cold reality of life that would haunt us. During our junior year of high school, one of our classmates committed suicide. Then during the summer between our junior and senior year, another was killed in a car crash involving a train.

Since then, we've seen other classmates taken from us in various ways. I'm sure this makes us no different than other classes from our school, or other classes that graduated the same year which we did. Still, by the time we reached our 20-year reunion in 2006, ten of our class members were gone. Perhaps just as innocuous is not just how many have passed on, but how they succumbed. One to breast cancer; one involving a shooting outside a nightclub; one involving a gas station robbery where they were at the wrong place at the wrong time; one to HIV; two from drug related issues; one from brain cancer; and another reportedly from an accident swimming in the ocean where a strong tide current slammed him into a pier.

And now I've learned of yet another loss recently. It's my sad duty to report that Doug Kessler passed away in March after an 18-month battle with colon cancer. Unfortunately by the time Doug was diagnosed, the cancer had already begun to spread to his lymph nodes, liver, and spine.

Greg Blue filled me in on some of the details of Doug's passing. But what I was struck by, in even the briefest of messages, was the impact Doug had on Greg in those final months. Greg made sure to tell me about Doug's spirit in battling the disease, and remaining active in terms of athletic pursuits. He also shared with me how loving a husband and father Doug was to his wife and their two children. I know that Doug and Greg were part of a tight circle of friends from high school that still remained friends 22 years following graduation day.

So, I wanted to acknowledge Doug's passing today with this posting. Doug and I played on soccer and baseball teams together when we were little kids, and he was always a gentle and kind person. I'm very saddened by his loss, and wish to extend my condolences to his wife Ivy, and their children Ryan and Emily. I also want offer my apologies on their loss to his parents and his brother Andrew, as well as all of his close friends from our class. I also understand from Greg that donations can be made in Doug's name to the following:

JCC of Central NJ
1391 Martine Ave.
Scotch Plains, NJ 07076


Greg also wanted me to mention that if you make a donation to please notate that it is in memory of Doug Kessler, because that money will be applied towards the creation of a new recreation facility being built there. I know that times are tough financially for all of us, but any positive gesture on your part would be greatly appreciated.

5 comments:

rednikki said...

My dad died of colon cancer. It was really awful. You have my sympathies.

Unknown said...

If we can raise enough money, they are going to name the basketball court in his memory.

He was so active in coaching that this would be such a great honor for him.

The Topor Family said...

Well said. This will be such a fitting honor for Doug. He was kind, gentle, warm and loving, so special to so many of us. Ivy, Ryan, Emily, Andy, Esther, and Jerry...you are in our constant thoughts. We love you.

The Topor Family

Unknown said...

I spent Summer of '88 in Israel with Doug. We were part of a group of American college students from all over the US, touring all over as well as studying at Hebrew Univ in Jerusalem. My best friend Eric and I, being from LA, always kidded with Doug about the West/East Coast sports rivalries, which heated up that fall with the Dodgers/Mets playoff series. In Israel, we were inseparable, played basketball with him constantly, great competitor on the court, and just a cool, joyful spirit off it. I got to see him again a couple of times while visiting NYC in the early 90s, then somehow we got disconnected, no email or social media yet. I just started a Facebook group called AZYF 1988, in an attempt to reconnect with our tripmates, which is how we found out about Doug's passing. It's been 33yrs since that summer, but I can still feel and hear Doug's voice, laugh and heavy Jersey accent. My love, thoughts, and prayers to Doug's family, I just want to let them know that his old West Coast chums miss him terribly.

Unknown said...

Fyi I posted a number of pics with Doug in that AZYF 1988 group page. Please feel free to message me on Facebook, let me know who you are and how you know Doug, and I will grant you access. Best, Mitch Sodikoff