Friday, February 1, 2008

Greatest upset ever - or going down with the ship

Okay, I could come up with all kinds of expert analysis, and dazzle you with detailed breakdowns matching up the two teams to fit my thesis. But I'd rather just say it this way:

"I'm picking the Giants to beat the Patriots because I've been picking against New England all year - why change things now?"

Hey, if you are on the Titanic and the iceberg is dead ahead, why call the travel agent and fire him before you fall into the drink - grab a bottle of vodka and try to enjoy it.

I know, not exactly what you were probably expecting from me, but it is what it is. I'm tired of Tom Brady and his slutty supermodel girlfriend - I'm tired of Bill Belichick and his cantankerous nature - I'm tired of Rodney Harrison getting caught with steroids and getting a pass for it - I'm tired of Randy Moss stories about how he's fitting in with the Pats after being a malcontent in Oakland and Minnesota - and I'm tired of Patriot fans that jumped on the bandwagon in the last 5 years.

The Giants need to win this game, if only to spare us from the two week aftermath of stories about how the Patriots are the greatest team in NFL history, and the greatest team in sports history, and how they will cure cancer and find bin Laden too.

Enough already.

Here's hoping Coughlin and Eli have the last laugh on Tiki (see previous posting). Here's hoping Plaxico is healthy and makes plays without the benefit of practice time, like he's done all season. Here's hoping Strahan's tackling is tighter than the space between his teeth (if you take a microscope and zoom in on his left front tooth, there's a sign pointing to the right that says "Next tooth 50 miles"). Here's hoping this is the start of a three-tier title run for NY area teams, to be followed by the Devils in the late spring/early summer and the Mets in October (they better sign Santana or Minaya should be drawn-and-quartered and buried in the new Shea Stadium).

And here's hoping the coverage leading up to the game isn't insufferably and terminally boring, like it is every year. Hey, I like pre-game show, but not more than 30 minutes of them, and Sunday we get like 22 hours or something. Fortunately for me, being out west this year, the game comes three hours earlier in the day at least.

I'll be live blogging the game, so click here to watch along with me. We're also live blogging the commercials as well, so check that out too. In fact, check out all of our Super Bowl pages that we've worked on this week.

No comments: