Wednesday, October 31, 2007

What I did last Friday...

I really didn't know what to expect when I made my way into The Orchid this past Friday night in Koreatown portion of downtown LA, anticipating the start of the Mahalo 15,000/17,000/19,000 terms party. I guess I expected to be more nervous than I was.

To reset, I was asked by one of my colleagues here at Mahalo, Nicole, to serve as a "co-host". The party, you see, was karaoke, and so I suppose because I've sang at karaoke bars once or twice, I was a natural fit to lead others through the evening.

But to be fair, all I really did was sing a lot (maybe more than even I'm used to) and punch in the numbers for what the others would sing. Now there was a lot of video shot from the night, and a lot of pictures were snapped away. However, there has been a "website posting embargo" which forbids me from even showcasing any of the action from that night. I'd have an easier time getting Wayne Gretzky to come out of retirement than posting anything from that night.

I would use this space to "dish" on happenings and let loose with some fun (not embarrassing) stories, but all I can do is respect the "What happens at Mahaloke stays at Mahaloke" mantra and list my play list of selections, which for those that know me wasn't exactly my A-List material:
Let Her Cry, Blue Eyes, Sweet Caroline, Bridge over Troubled Water, Enter Sandman, U Can't Touch This, Pretty Woman, Born to Run, Every Breath You Take, You Got It, and Born in the USA. There were also several instances where I joined in on songs, and even one instance where I was the subject of a song (many took to inserting my nickname in a version of TLC's "Creep", which took on quite the double entendre).

Still, a great time was had by all (you'll just have to trust me on that).

On Saturday, the first ever "Mahalo Hoops" outing took place on the campus of UCLA, and featured some athletic play - with me just trying to keep up. Still, those that know me will no doubt understand that I was able to have a few "get me involved" moments.

Today was slightly disappointing, in that some of my fellow co-workers talked up dressing in Halloween costumes for the party, and then when the overwhelming majority wanted a more 'formal' approach to the Friday night dress code, I figured we'd just make up for this today, the actual holiday itself. And I was initially encouraged that I wouldn't be alone when I noticed several commuters on my way in had done the same.

Nevertheless, except for C.K. Sample's dog, I was the only fool willing to actually wear a costume today. So much for team spirit! I am including a photo taken for those to see me as an umpire:



Oh well...

As for this weekend's version of "the Most Important Game in the History of Organized Sports", I am picking the Belichick Gang to win, but rooting for the Colts. Like any big game with an even match-up on paper, count on turnovers and special teams play to be the difference makers.

No comments: