Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lucky to meet a living legend

So my recent attempt to sit down with Wayne Gretzky last month didn't work out, as I mentioned here on this blog. But I'm still hopeful to get a chance when the Coyotes come to L.A. on Saturday night to face the Kings.

Still, as I chase down the Great One, I can happily report that I spoke with another Kings legend this past week for a piece of Examiner: Luc Robitaille.

I met with him on Friday at the Kings' offices in El Segundo, and I was only supposed to get 10 minutes with the President of Business Operations. So you can imagine how grateful I am that he gave me 30 minutes.

We talked about a variety of topics from his playing career to his role in the Kings front office, as well as the game in general and the development of the Kings franchise moving forward. He didn't shy away from any question I asked him, told me some great stories about his relationship with his father and his respect for Kings fans, and is genuinely a guy you'd like to sit for hours watching a game and drinking beer with while he shared stories of his career.

Clearly his title is not an honorary one - he is very involved in talking with season ticket holders about renewals for next season, existing and potential corporate sponsors, and overseeing the various public appearances of the players. He is also very excited about the future of the team, and very confident that the organization is ready to take the next step and get back to being a playoff team every season.

Feel free to read the article by clicking on this link.

A special thanks to Jeremy Zager for his legwork in getting me access to Robitaille, and Mike Kalinowski for his heads-up proofreading skills. Of all the PR departments that I have dealt with over the years, the Kings PR people are first class all the way, and no one else is even a close second...


PS - The news I spoke of last week concerning an upcoming project of mine is almost ready to be revealed - thanks for your patience...

No comments: